Re: Further to XY under XP: finding config.xy

Reply to note from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  Wed,
15 Aug 2007 18:20:47 -0400

> Isn't there ANY email app that will just deal in plain text
> files, and let the enduser decide were he or she wants to store
> them, and copy and paste between?

Sure. XyWrite! In my case, it's my main e-mail app. I use it with
two command-line e-mail programs: Hacksaw to fetch mail and
febootimail to send. (Hacksaw has the ability to send messages, but
it doesn't do cc's, bc's and binary attachments. Febootimail does.
Febootimail, however, can't send mail, so the two programs
complement each other nicely. Hacksaw is freeware [abandonware]. A
single-user febooti license costs under $50 and gets you free
lifetime upgrades -- a very good deal.)

But even if you'd rather not organize your e-mail in XyWrite, you
can still use Hacksaw to save some or all messages to disk before
retrieving them with your regular e-mail client (or vice versa). Or
you can fetch mail with your regular program as usual, then use
Hacksaw to download all or selected messages to disk and then
delete. Anyway, the point is that since e-mail is, at bottom, a
plain-text app (although not always a plain-English one), it
partners easily with XyWrite. (To get to plain English, U2 has
utilities to decode base64 and quoted-printable material, and to
strip out HTML and similar markup, without leaving XyWrite.)

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx