Re: OT: Motherboard replacement without reinstalling Opsys

Manuel Castelao wrote:

By the way: attempting to prepare the terrain, I ran Partition Manager's 8.01 partition info tool and I received these messages: "Warning #113: EPBR partition starting at 83538001 overlaps previous EPBR partition", "Logical starting at 83538126 is not one head away from EPBR" and "extended volume. Error #114: Logical starting at 100984653 is not one head away from EPBR". Fortunately, those messages refer to the limit between a linux swap and a data FAT32 partition, not to the main program partition (C:) but partition magic is apparently unable to solve the problem because it sees the whole disk as defective and then I can't erase those partitions and create them again. Grenier's Test Disk doesn't detect any problem and I have been working without any problem for years. Can someone suggest a good partition tool to make a further diagnostic?

I can't suggest a better diagnostic tool, but since you've already
apparently tried to delete the offending partitions, have you considered trying to delete the problem partitions using a Linux LiveCD and gparted or qtparted? (There's a ISO for the former and some other tools at http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/ [I've not used it], but you could just burn Ubuntu or Knoppix if you prefer and use the included partition editor.) Then you might be able to use Partition Magic to build the partitions you want, and presumably PM will be happy with the resulting partitions. I'm guessing, but this procedure might convince PM that the disk is not defective. Paul Lagasse Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie