off-topic: c: drive filling up

This is not a xywrite problem, but if anyone can help me out
I'd really, really appreciate it.

A recurrent project has begun to require that as many images
as possible be delivered by email--sources email to me, down
the road I email to client.

The problem is that these images fill up what's left of my
C:drive. I spent 5 hours last night weeding out enough to
free up 574mb of the 1.99gb on C:, but at the rate things
are going the drive is going to be filled again before the
end of the week. Getting rid of things like cookies doesn't
make a dent. And even if I delete some of the images from
email, Netscape 4.78 has already deposited on C: every
single thing it delivered.

I have less than a month to finish contacting about 150
sources, interview and write up maybe 120 of them, collect
images (not all email, but just waiting for them to download
can take 20 minutes per) and write maybe 100 captions, plus
work with the copy editor and layout person on a project I
handed in last Monday.

I know I'm whining, but I don't have the time (or the
unfried brainpower) for anything resembling a learning curve
leading to a solution. However, the following possibilities
come to mind:

1. Is there stuff in Windows 98 I can get rid of? Transfer
to the D:drive?

  (a) there are files that seem to be duplicated in
Programs, Windows, Shared and some other places. Are the
duplicates really taking up space? Can they be deleted?

  (b) Can I delete things I don't use? I'm pretty sure I
don't use Publisher or Front Page Express, and possibly a
bunch of other stuff whose labels make no sense to me (and
which I have to admit I may have downloaded in my frenzied
early days online)--save2dsk.bin at 68,000kb? winundo.dat at
109,000kb? microsoftdirectX at 11,000kb, which my computer
claims it is using? rs405eng.exe, a compressed acrobat file
in my download folder even though I seem to have acrobat
installed under Programs?

I know I use Excel, Dos because of Xywrite, and,
ocassionally, Word, wordpad, notepad, winzip, sound, and
whatever shows moving cartoons and film.

I'd be willing to pay if someone could help me, over the
phone, go over everything in explorer and SAFELY delete or
move stuff to D:.

2. Can I buy more space and install it in two seconds or
less on C:? I have a three-year-old Dell Inspiron 3200
laptop running Win98.

Any takers?
Judith Davidsen