Re: OT: Wireless Internet

≪In rural communities, I'd like to see high-speed Internet
delivered over the power lines. Plug some sort of modem into an
electric wall outlet, and you're online.≫
Indeed, there is no technical reason why you have to go online via the telephone jack. It is just that telephone companies have sold us on the idea that that's the way to go. You can just as well get your Internet link via the tv cable-antenna (if you have one) or electric power lines. The only requirement is that, at the other end of the line, there is a router (or some sort of proxy server) with Internet access. The power line link was tried in some European countries, but, I think, they had trouble filtering out noise.
Many large cities are now providing metropolitan Ethernet (MetroNet) to
the doorstep. I'm not sure how they get passed the distance limitations
of Ethernet, which, even with fiber optic cable in full duplex mode, are
shorter than the diameter of a large city.