Re: Fwd: XyDOS on large screens

Carl Distefano wrote:

> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:55:53 +0200
> From: Alan Heubert
>
> Can anyon esuggest to me which of the following solutions might work, or
> suggest
> another?

>b) Are there any programs out there that will make DOS programs look
>good in full-screen mode on a larger monitor? A number of years ago
>there used to be a "screen enhancer" called Ultrafont, that came
>installed on Toshiba portables, and which did something similar. But
>that program doesn't help here, and the company that made it doesn't
>seem to be around anymore.

There used to be a versatille DOS-based display utility, originally
developed for laptops (I think) called ULTRAVISION. The original developer
was Personics, but I think it later went to a small, shareware outfit. As
recently as 2 years ago, they still had a nominal presence on Compuserve,
where I had an exchange of email with them. I've been curious as to whether
this product is still around, and whether it still has any real uses. This
might be a good time to do some digging. CIS has been doing a lot of forum
consolidation and reorgainization over the past year or so. Even if I could
i.d. the minor sub-section where they were last seen, that might not be
enough. I'll look around and let you know, but it will probably be a while.

> c) Switch to XyWin, or to NotaBene.

No suggestion on the latter. I have a license for XyWin, took a relatively
brief test drive of it once, hated the changes they had made to "Window-ize"
it, and have scarcely been back since.

Jordan Fox