Re: disappearing dict.spl

Bill Troop:

>Say I'm editing the file
>c:\docs\doc22. I want to spell check. I go to the
>command line, and type "cd /xy4" (or wherever
>my xy4 directory is). Then I run spell. That's what
>I mean by "logging into" that directory.

Make the slash in the above a backslash. On the other hand, if Judith is
working in a different drive, it may be a two-stage process. Supposing
she's editing d:\docs\doc22 and Xy4 is in c:\xy4. Then she may have to type
  c:
  cd \xy4
Chances are, however, that when she types c: she'll find she's thereby in
c:\xy4 and thus that the second command above is superfluous.

>Now I hope someone will clearly
>tell Judith how to really fix the problem by
>fixing her path command. (Or is there something
>else that can be done as well? Can a 'non-standard' path
>be specified in startup or settings?)

Course it can. For example, you can put Xy4 in a batch file that starts by
specifying a path that's suitable for Xy, then runs Xy, and then specifies
a Xy-irrelevant path. But the bog-simple way of doing this is to specify
path in c:\autoexec.bat. Assuming that Win9x is in c:\windows, the
relevant line of autoexec.bat should read:

path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\xy4

of course with the addition of any other subdirectories that you want to
put on the path (each separated by a semicolon). Put this path command at
or near the end of autoexec.bat; you might otherwise waste a few bytes.

PATH is explained on the net, for example at http://www.easydos.com/path.html
Peter Evans