Re: Backup--a different approach

>> It takes about a minute to schedule a task; you do it once and that's that. The advantage is that I can schedule backups for times when the computer is idle, i.e., file content is at a resting point.

Whatever you find best is of course best for you, but I don’t want anyone to be scared away by getting the idea that there is any need whatever to perform this kind of multiple setup. I haven’t used the Windows task scheduler for fifteen years and forgot that it even existed. All anyone needs to do is set up a recurring backup task in ShadowProtect (preferably specifying a “retention policy” that preserves only the last two or three full backups so that you don’t fill up your backup disk), and then never think about it again until you need to restore files. (I make a full backup once a week and an incremental backup daily, but you could set it to make an incremental backup every hour if you wanted. I use Dropbox for that kind of fine-grained recovery.)

An option in the ShadowProtect lets the ShadowProtect program send you an e-mail alert if a backup fails for any reason. This was useful once when the backup disk was too full to complete the backup; I adjusted the retention policy after that to save fewer old backups and that solved the problem. Other than that, I haven’t touched my backup setup for the past two years - but a backup was there when I needed it last week.