TO Robert Holmgren

You are indeed correct that "D UI=1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0",
turns off every conceivable bell & whistle.

I just tried it and in fact the interface is exactly as it is in
DOS (except the command and status lines are combined) and the
command line is permanent.
 Unfortunately if you do return to the full interface
(CTRL+SHIFT+V on the standard XyWin kbd) when you toggle back to
the bare interface, the command line behaves as I said it did--
no longer permanent. I am glad to see that it can be made to
stay there, however, since making it do that as a default
shouldn't be too much effort.

When in that mode I really had no problems editing, and didn't
see any particularly squirly things. I think that mode has been
worked on and cleaned up some since 4.00.

As to your benchmarks, and comments about expanded view, I will
pass this along to Dave and see what he has to say.

K.