Re: What was Sprint

Wikipedia:

:In 1982, Non-Linear Systems organized a daughter
company named the Kaypro Corporation and
rechristened the computer [that it had been
working to design] with the same name.

"Despite the numbering, the company's first model
used the Roman numeral IIone of the most popular
microcomputers at the time was the Apple II. The
Kaypro II was designed to be portable like the
Osborne. (When battery-powered laptop computers
became available, the larger machines came to be
called transportable or luggable, rather than
portable.) Set in an aluminum case with a
keyboard that snapped onto the front covering the
CRT, it weighed 29 pounds (13 kilograms) and was
equipped with a Zilog Z80 microprocessor, 64
kilobytes of RAM, and two 5’-inch double-density
floppy-disk drives. The keyboard used the CP/M
layout of Control key but no Alt or arrow keys.
[This is not true. There was no "CP/M" layout,
and my CP/M system used both alt and arrow keys.
And the images I see for the Kaypro II show a
built-in keyboard with both arrow keys but no
alt-key. I changed the Wikipedia entry to correct that.]

"It ran on Digital Research, Inc.'s CP/M
operating system, and sold for about US $1,795 (equivalent to $4,400 in 2015)."

Regards,
Harry

When the Kaypro was new (mid-70s ? or certainly not earlier than the late 70's -- remember, this was CPM, with 8" floppies "), I think it cost around 6 grand, or perhaps even more ? I had friends who could write that off for their business, but as a then struggling and very poorly paid, mostly freelance journalist, I could not afford it. I was still using the Coronamatic electric typewriter I had had in college. It wasn't until Zenith came out with their version of the XT (also available as an assemble-it-yourself kit) in late '84 or so that I first got a computer. I think I must have started with XyWrite. I still have the II+ demo floppies somewhere, so that could have been it. Jordan From: John Paines To: "xywrite@xxxxxxxx" Sent: Monday, September 5, 2016 12:29 PM Subject: Re: What was Sprint The link below claims FinalWord (aka Sprint, eventually) was designed to emulate Perfect Writer (bundled with the Kaypro, no?), so it can't be all *that* old.... early 80s? http://www.atarimagazines.com/startv1n2/WordProcessors.html I myself date to the IBM Mag Card (early 70s, as a student), so am unimpressed.... From: Carl Distefano To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx Sent: Monday, September 5, 2016 2:30 PM Subject: Re: What was Sprint Reply to note from Daniel Say mailto:say@xxxxxxxxsay@xxxxxxxx> Mon, 5 Sep 2016 11:11:09 - 0700 > Sprint was Final Word, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_%28word_processor%29 Who writes the "History" section of an encyclopedia article without mentioning a single DATE?! Grrrrr.... I started with XyWrite in 1985, so I'm wondering where FinalWord/Sprint falls on my timeline. It sounds like it would have grabbed me had I been aware of it. -- Carl Distefano mailto:cld@xxxxxxxxcld@xxxxxxxx