Re: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

Reply to note from Myron Gochnauer  Thu, 12 Apr 2018
14:02:00 +0000

Myron,

> Can anyone explain the 'nature' of XPL? That is:
>
> 1) Is it a version of, or derivative of, some older language like
> Fortran, Lisp or Cobol?

It's been described as BASIC-like, but of course it looks nothing like
BASIC or any other language (though in its terseness it reminds me of
APL). The essential nature of XPL lies in its complete integration with
Editor.exe, its ability to execute the atomic tasks (represented by the
3-byte functions) that are at the heart of Editor. Of course, it would
be possible to substitute a different scripting syntax that has the same
degree of integration, but if the result is to make 3.5 decades of
existing code obsolete, surely that would defeat the purpose of the
current exercise. For this dream -- um, project -- to make sense, XPL
has got to remain viable.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx