XPL question: VA$DL

Can anyone explain what VA $DL is? XPL.TXT defines it as "default file
location" (to which, as a copy editor, I have to ask, "Does that mean
the location of the default file or the default location of a file, and
if the latter, which file?"). A document that begins Documents on
XyWrite Special Functions from Technology Group Tech Support, dated
6/1/95, says "Location of SETTINGS.DFL." But when I command VA/NV $DL, I
get "(none)" though SETTINGS.DFL is right in the same directory with
EDITOR.exe, which is the currently logged drive and dir. Table Variables
also defines it as DeFauLt File Location, and gives a value of (none).
I've searched the archive without finding anything, and precisely why
I'm trying to figure it out is so I can possibly understand Carl's
SA/RTF (with a view to improving my own XYtoWP), so looking in U2 isn't
helping.

Thanks.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey