Hyphenation

Thanks, Manuel, for your reply.

> If, as I suppose, you write in italiano, keep in mind
> the recent posts about the ACCENTS table.
> Otherwise, you'll have trouble with the speller.

Yes, I generally write in Italian.
Referring to the accent characters, I didn't have particular trouble with
the speller until now.

> Please include in your settings.dfl a line
> DF UD=italiano
> Obviously, I am referring to the IBM PCLex dictionary
> pointed by Robert Holmgren in an old message
> (see XyWWWeb page). You need to install it.
> And then command HY 1
> Please verify the hyphenations points. In my case,
> Xy4 hyphenates Spanish very well following
> this method.

I'm using Xy4 DOS to write in foreign languages (French and English), and it
is set to use IBM PCLex dictionaries; I use the command line to put the UD
command in the text for the specific language I'm using. The default in
"SETTINGS.DFL" is "UD=ITA". When HY is 1, Xy4 DOS hyphenates correctly
following the language set rules.

I use Xy4 Win when I write in Italian, and it is set to use Microlitics
dictionary (DICT.SPL). As known, when Microlitics is used, there is no
possibility to change the spelling dictionary language when the program has
been launched.
For hyphenation I'm using a very long personal dictionary (;HY;),
continuously updated. In this conditions, if HY is set to 5 Xy4 Win crashes
at the first hyphenation it tries to do; no problem if HY is set to 1 (as it
must). Differently from Xy3, Xy4 Win has some irritating problems to
correctly honor the hyphenation points indicated on the personal "HY"
dictionary, but I can survive...

My previous message was just to confirm that Xy3 can use different HY
setting. I just known "1" and "5" values; now, thanks to you, I know that
"2" is for Spanish language.
For Italian hyphenation to work in Xy3, a file named HY.EXE needs to be
loaded before to activate EDITOR.EXE; for Spanish? You just set "HY 2",
nothing else?

Adriano Ortile