Re: House Call

Hi Irene,

Glad you like your mac, I'm sorry for the problems you are having now.
As Robert pointed out, and you have probably surmised, it IS difficult to get DOS running on your mac. (It used to be a no-brainer when Virtual PC (VPC) was available for the Mac on PPC architecture, but those days are gone.) If you wanted to get Windows running on your mac, and then run Xy under the DOS box that way then either parallels or vmware should enable you to do that.
As for DOS, i too forsee a day when i will finally have to get rid of
my trusty seven year old Mac powerbook and get an Intel based Mac, so
i've been looking at scenarios for running Xy.
There WAS a guy who had posted to the vmware forum who during the
course of his forum post, HAD discovered a way to have not only DOS
running under vmware but also with support for a shared folder
construct. (Something we talked on the list here wrt Parallels.) So i
believe that it IS possible, i just haven't tried it.)
Also i think some people were having success with using either DOSEMU
or DOSBOX (?) to create an emulated DOS environment for the Mac.
Those utilities, if you search for them, i think have executables for
the Mac, so it may just be a matter of installing those apps, but you
will probably have to setup some parameters for the system.
So sorry, until more of the big guys go Mac, it's going to take a
little work!

Russ