Re: OT Search terms

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Sun, 30 Nov
2003 15:16:47 -0500

> the chief thing is I'm NOT interested in
> Internet connectivity.

Oh! Then why did you describe your problem this way:

>> Can anyone ... knowledgeable ... about networking suggest ...
>> leads for configuring a laptop to belong to more than one network?
>> It surely must be possible: lots of people want their laptops to
>> log onto the office network and then their own home network.

I don't see how the above relates to your actual problem:

> What I basically need is to be able to copy files too big
> for floppies (the laptop's CD is too old to read CD-Rs) back and forth
> from laptop to desktop, here and there.

Use a serial cable and a null modem (or laplink, if you want to be elaborate).
Done. Or Email the files (Zip them, to cut DL time) to yourself and fetch them
at the office. Or buy a cheap "memory key" that functions as a removeable
drive and plugs into the USB port, and schlep it back and forth. Mine is the
size of, oh, the bristle part of a toothbrush, and weighs less than a 50 cent
coin; holds 128Mb (= 90 floppies) -- this way you can leave your laptop at
home, and just throw the memory key in your coin purse, or put it on your
keychain... Memorex and many others make them. Cheap! Business expense!

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx