Re: printer file

Michael Norman wrote:

> Some useful tidbits from TTG: I've been trying to get XyDos to print from a
> new Espson 777 inkjet. Tried all the epson .prn files on the TTG website.
> Nothing works. Spoke to a TTG tech this a.m. who was extremely helpful and,
> I might add, did not ask for a credit card number. Told me that some of the
> new printers will not, repeat, will not print from dos. This means you have
> to translate the file to a win program. I'm not sure whether the 777 is in
> this category. I have to call Epson tech support. More dissonance for XyDos
> atavists.

This sounds like it could well be a "Win-printer", that is, a lower-end printer
with no "brain" chip or memory of it's own, which dumps all work off to the
computer itself. Besides the problem you discovered, this is a drag on the
system. It may be too late at this point, but if there is any way to return /
exchange the printer, you might want to consider doing so.

Things may have changed recently in a very dertrimental way -- I don't know.
But it used to be that if you bought a model high in the line, or checked the
box for a mention of DOS or Win 3.1 compatibility, you could be pretty sure you
were _not_ getting a Win-printer. In my opinion, Win-printers and Win-modems
are abomminations, to be avoided at all cost. The assumption, of course, is
that everyone these days uses Win, the price of these models is much less (but
you pay for it in other ways), and few users will know the difference or care.
But it is bad news for those who do not use Win, or who run multiple operating
systems.

Jordan