Re: In praise of 64-bit systems WAS Re: Do we actually need XP support?

Far from it. I have been using InDesign, for instance, on my 400-page book,
while having lots of Chrome tabs open and 8 or so other programs.

Your usage is probably quite light. On Wednesday, 26 March 2014, Harry Binswanger <mailto:hb@xxxxxxxxhb@xxxxxxxx> wrote: I'm running Chrome (latest version) on 32 bit Win 7 with no problems. but many of us prefer 64-bit systems Kari's point is important. We do need 64-bit host systems because 32-bit systems confine us to a maximum of 4GB of usable memory. Nowadays, you need more than that just to run a modern browser efficiently. (Partly due to the independent process/crash-proof model of IE, Chrome, post-Chrome Opera.) If the host system is never going to run anything but XyWrite, then OK, we don't need 64 bits. But to run any other contemporary app, you really do need the latest and greatest.