Re: "Kerning?"

 >Use a PostScript interpreter (software if you don't have a PS printer),
 >driver, add an ashow procedure (modifies the distance between characters
 >horizontally or vertically) to fb<, and define the proc as an attribute
 >to make it easy to turn on and off. The driver would cause the string
 >to look like this to the interpreter:
 >	n1 n2 (Jack Paar) ashow
 >where n1 is the x offset and n2 is the y offset.

≪ Ok, I need a *little* bit more on this -- I take it this ashow
 procedure goes somewhere in the ps printer driver I load in Xy? ≫

In the fb<.

≪ I will admit in all candor that that prn file stuff scares me. ≫

Requires some study of both the driver and PS. Familiarity reduces the
terror. Everybody's fave primer is Ross Smith's "Learning PostScript:
A Visual Approach" (Peachpit; ISBN 0-938-151-12-6). Trying to program PS
without some reference manual would be like trying to wing it with xpl.
Requires mastery of some basics, and the Smith book is the best place
I know of to start. All the basics, presented in an absolutely
non-threatening manner.