Re: off topic: different cultures, same ideas

In the humble view of this East Coaster, there is much to be said for burning the whole LA area (or at least Orange County) every two years.  Allowing that doing so could induce a mean smog during a temperature inversion, two weeks of smog every two years strikes me as far preferable to more than 50 weeks of smog every year.

Fred
----- Original Message -----
From: mailto:mikeshupp@xxxxxxxxmike shupp
Subject: Re: off topic: different cultures, same ideas

I've a stock response when someone suggests that the Los Angeles area
would benefit from using past Indian "wisdom" to manage the local
environment:  "Oh goody!  We're going to set fire to Orange County
every other year!"

(For the curious-- Range fires tend to burn off smaller twigs and
branches on shrubs, but leave them alive, so the following spring
you get a lot of new buds and young green branches.  These tend to
be high in sugar-rich sap, which attracts deer and other browsing
animals, which simplifies hunting deer... So every so often local
Indians did set fire to the flat lands in the LA area.  And then of
course, thermal inversions trapped the smoke in the LA basin,
creating smog centuries before cars were invented.)