Re: PostGhost Fonts (and the Euro)

** Reply to message from Correo Fenda  on Mon, 29 Aug
2005 09:20:10 +0200

> It's an old XyWrite4 bug, never fixed. [PB82 etc]

OK, I'll take a look at it when I get a very rainy day. Have you tried what I
suggested yesterday -- setting the DEFAULTPAPERSIZE parameter in gs_init.ps?
And, as you know, SETTINGS.DFL is a PRinter file: note the ;PR; identifier on
the first line. POSTwhatever.PRN is a PRinter file. Have you tried putting
"DF PB=82" in POST*.PRN? And why do you use PB 82 anyway? If you tell XyWrite
that the FD FormDepth is 297mm and the PW PageWidth is 210mm, XyWrite isn't
going to disobey you! I think of those PB commands as commands for _hardware
devices_ (printers). There are all kinds of reasons why a real printer, for
example, would disregard a PB82 command, e.g. it understands the concept but
the current paper tray isn't A4 size. Et cetera. Ghostscript is a software
interpreter masquerading to some degree as hardware, but it may not understand
something like PB 82 (whatever the underlying code is). Anyway, I have never
used a PB command in XyWrite for *anything*! I'm pretty darn sure that if you
tell XyWrite that your page dimensions are A4 size, and you tell Ghostscript
that your DEFAULTPAPERSIZE is A4, then you're going to get A4 output. I've got
a 2002-vintage DFL file of yours, and it has a wierd mixture of settings in
INches, LInes, etc. Your UH and UV should be CM or MM. You need to make all
those settings metric & harmonious! If you want me to play with it, please
send me your current DFL file.

Note that there is a new POSTGHST.PRN for CodePage 850 in
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/POST47.ZIP (refreshed yesterday). I am
particularly pleased with this PRN because the WiDth tables are dead accurate
(previously they had some anomalies), and I think the organization (fontnames
etc) is more rational.

It's interesting to me that, off the shelf, XyWrite4 offers three fonts with
four weights of each: COURIER, DUTCH [TIMES], and SWISS [HELVETICA]. These,
together with SYMBOL, correspond to the Standard 13 of PostScript.

> what versions of GhostScript/GhostView are you currently using?

The latest: AFPL GS v8.51 and GSview v2.7

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx