Re: off list virus question

At 11:12 AM -0400 01.7.21, Ferreira wrote:
>This virus is not a hoax!!
>
>I received a the same email the other day--apparently from a company in MA
>that I sometimes do business with. The attached file appeared to be an MS
>Word file (or at least it had a .doc extension). Thinking (a) that this was
>an attachment from a known source; and (b) that it was not an exe file, I
>opened it.
>
>Disaster struck!

That is because in MS Word the distinction between "opening" and
"executing" is blurred -- the result of a word processor that works with
text files that contain executable macros.
Nothing would have happened to you if you had *opened* the file first in a
clean software like XY to see what is actually there.

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo
-- "Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong." (Oscar
Wilde)