Re: NBWIN -- frequent crashes

In a message dated 12/15/99 11:26:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, Michael Norman
writes:

> I too get no replies to e-mail, not from Tech support or from Anne Putnam,
> to whom I sent a private e-mail.

Dear Michael:

I am sorry that I haven't respond to you until now. The only e-mails from
you addressed to me personally are both dated Monday, December 13, and I was
out of the office Monday and Tuesday this week. However, I did forward your
e-mails to Steve Semple, who directs (very capably, I might add) our tech
support department and general operations. Yesterday, Steve sent me an
e-mail with the first two pages of his response to your technical questions,
and a note that he was still investigating some of the other questions. We
still plan to respond today -- two days after I received your e-mail.

With regard to the responsiveness of our tech support department to your
other earlier inquiries, I quote from Steve's forthcoming e-mail to you:

"According to our records, you sent technical support
(technicalsupport@xxxxxxxx) an e-mail on December 6th and spoke with
Matthew Klaassen on December 10th about the questions in that e-mail. We,
therefore, did not respond to the December 6th e-mail in writing. Your next
e-mail contact with us was on December 10th, when you sent me an e-mail
(ssemple@xxxxxxxx). I was about to respond to that e-mail yesterday when
Anne Putnam brought your additional questions (posted to the XyWrite List) to
my attention. I then decided to send you this single general response now.
Based on these records, our response time more or less fits into what we
consider the normal time it takes to respond to e-mailed questions -- given
the complexity of the issues raised."

I am sorry that you are not entirely pleased with our tech support. We
certainly want to do everything we can to meet the needs of our customers.

Our tech support department tells me that we are seeing quite a few questions
from XyWrite users that deal with customization and XPL programs and/or that
require a knowledge of one of the XyWrite programs. Our tech support people
are familiar with NB DOS which is similar to XyDOS in many respects, but they
are not directly trained in any of the XyWrite programs. While Nota Bene is
in a position to support the program we have produced, I cannot assure you
that we will be able to answer all questions regarding XPL programs written
by others, complex issues that arise from individual customizations (these
problems may be very difficult for us to duplicate) or questions that require
an in depth knowledge of XyWrite (as distinct from Nota Bene) programs. As
you noted in your e-mail: "it once again underscores the value of this list."
 I couldn't agree more. I am sure that there are many on this list who know
much more about XPL and customizing the program than our technicians do.
This list is certainly an invaluable resource.

However, I do think that Steve Semple is doing a thorough job of responding
to the technical questions that you have asked so far. Since you posted
these questions on the list, we will also post Steve's responses as soon as
they are ready. I hope that they are helpful to you and to others.

Notwithstanding a somewhat bumpy road in getting started with Nota Bene, I
hope we will be able to answer your questions to your satisfaction and that
you will be able to use the program in a way that fulfills your needs and
expectations.

Please feel free to contact either me or Steve if you have further questions.

Anne Putnam
President, Nota Bene Associates, Inc.
aputnam@xxxxxxxx
or anneputnam@xxxxxxxx