Re: memory use

If you load those routines onto ordinary S/Gs (which is the equivalent of

Xy4.sgt in my case. Yeah, I've been using that heavily too!
then, yeah, of course you're going to reduce Programming memory consumption
dramatically if you append the stuff to U2 instead.

I love cutting dead weight.
The bottom line is that these Menu
files or Help files (whatever you want to call them: DLG, U2, etc) are
incredibly economical in their use of memory: each frame is indexed in a pithy
way (just the framename and the byte location within the Help file), consuming
maybe 25-30 bytes for each reference, and that's it.
You know, for some reason, I assumed that that's the way all s/gs and
programs worked--i.e., that what memory contained was pointers, not data
(with the data being on disk somewhere--after all, what about all those
strangely-named temp files Xy creates?).
when you trigger OOM, you're screwed: there's usually no way to get Editor
back on good behavior -- you gotta save your work, quit, and relaunch.
Yeah, so I've learned. And you can't even necessarily know that it was an
OOM error.
> when I was young and carefree, memory space didn't matter to me. Now I'm
> like the grasshopper looking in, shivering, at the provident ants in the
> winter

That great old Disney cartoon...
Exactly. And I had the 78 rpm records with the book ("when you hear this
sound, turn the page").

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Binswanger