Re: Lifetime of magical moments

Morris Krok wrote:

>   I must agree with Leslie that in a sense XyWin is XyClunk, but with
> help of Carl I did get something working. Incidentally to my surprise it
> also worked in NBWIN which included turning off the errror checking prompt
> and including the Beep and prompt message.

What _would_ we do w/o Carl??!!

>   Leslie, I think it was you who gave me the key to use the spell check
> command in a program that tags all the wrongly spelt words or the double
> insertion of words from the beginning of a file to its end.

Glad to have helped. I remember something like that, not the details.

> I included it in
> my shorthand expansion program that permits one to type in shorthand and
> expand these shortforms and place the necessary spaces after punctuation
> marks with one keypress. It also capitalizes the first word of each
> sentence, and indents the first line of each paragraph.

Why do you need to indent the 1st lines of paragraphs. Doesn't ≪IP5,0≫ do it
for you?

>   I have added another feature to this program using the search replace
> command that results in certain suffixes to be added to root words such as
> using space "m" space to add ment to words such as arrange and manage. A
> very fast touch typist may not be impressed by this shorthand program or
> using "m" to type data.

I am a touch typist, but if it works for you, fine.

>   Leslie you may be perfectly right, an advanced well trained programmer
> may not be so thrilled with the writing of programs as he can write them
> with ease and speed. But they still are magical in what they do and their
> time saving capabilities.

Quite so.

>   One of my favourite programs deals with the listing of the thousands of
> books which I have in my library both in South Africa and California. After
> listing all these titles in lower case this short program capitalizes the
> first letter of each word of the title except for the buzz words such as
> "of", "the", "or", "and" plus many others.

Cute.

>   I would be interested our hear from other XyWriters who write Xpl code
> to describe in a few lines what they regard as their most favourite program
> written by them and why. Even one will suffice.

I have a couple of count programs that renumbers footnotes/endnotes, and cites
to them. We dump notes into separate files, and if during the publication
process an author adds or subtracts one, or more, these pgms. make sure that
both files are numbered correctly.

As for Morris's sermon on nutrition, I shall say only that I prefer not to work
quite that hard to obtain proteins in quantities sufficient to satisfy Ma
Nature's daily requirements. I eat meat, fish, eggs, and drink milk. I put real
butter on my English muffins, creamcheese on my bagels, and I'll have a beer or
two.

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)