Grammar

The grammar discussions here have been a lot of fun and for reasons
metaphoric seem a perfect complement to the other subjects -- one writer's
tool among many. Here are just a few books my grad students enjoy and find
engaging on the subject:

The Complete Stylist and Handbook, Sheridan Baker, Harper Collins. A
stunning discussion of language filled with good sentences and, in back,
even ancient Greek rhetorical techniques.

The Careful Writer, Theodore Bernstein, Atheneum. Answers many of the
questions posed here; worth the price just for his discussion of transitive
and intransitive verbs. Wonderful sense of humor.

The American Language, Wilson Follett. Follett is like Fowler only much
more accessible.