Re: Expanded memory

Judith Davidsen  wrote:

> When I checked my Xywrite properties, I learned that:
> >
> > "The computer is not configured for expanded memory in
> > MS-Dos sessions. Details: Third-party memory-managment
> > software has not been configured for expanded memory.
> > Consult the product documentation for instructions on how to
> > enable expanded memory."

I think the above message could mean that there is some third-party
memory management software installed on your computer (a laptop,
right? Maybe something put there by the manufacturer?) but that this
software hasn't been set up to provide expanded memory. In the
absence of such software, Windows installs its own memory-management
software, a program called EMM386.EXE located in the Windows
directory. Do you have the docs for your laptop? Anything in there
about bundled software? Or else call the manufacturer, and tell them
about the above problem. Your best bet probably is to get rid of the
third-party software and let Windows handle memory by itself.

> Harry seemed to think I don't need expanded memory. Is this
> the consensus?

I'd think that to use XyWrite fully, you need expanded memory.
Otherwise out-of-memory messages when doing things such as spell
checking large files (especially using personal dictionaries) and
quite possibly other glitches are bound to crop up.

Please note that all of the above are mere guesses on my part.

Wolfgang Bechstein
wolfie@xxxxxxxx