Macro Recording Glitch

At some point I have run into a freaky problem with macro recording. When I
record a sequence of keystrokes including the enter key, and then play the
macro back, instead of moving to the next line, the program simply inserts
an ASCII 13 (looks like single musical note); thus after recording

a,

I get

a<13>a.

The result is that any keystroke macro that uses the enter key doesn't work.

I have tried various ways around this problem. It is obvious from looking
at the keyboard file that the code on the enter key is ASCII 13. No other
code will produce an ENTER. The rules in XY are complicated; for instance,
in the program itself there are several ways to produce an ENTER when the
program is run). But I have even tried putting an ENTER in a program file
and running it from the keyboard. It inserts a 13 too.

I refuse to believe that there is no way around the problem, and have no
idea what (whether a change in XY version or what) brought it about. Any ideas?

N. Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3325, U.S.A.