Re: Save (backup)

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Mon, 15 Dec 2003
22:08:33 -0500

> And the micro-drives are
> coming, so, soon, they will be small enough to carry around when traveling.

Micro drives are here! But max capacity is 1Gb at present, and the cost is
about the same as a 200Gb Firewire drive. Or a DVD RW burner. IMO, what's the
point?

I discussed key drives (memory sticks, whatever) with Patricia a few weeks ago
(Lisa just mentioned them again). They're tremendous for their SneakerNet
purpose; but if Firewire is truly down to $1/Gig, then key drives are about
400x more expensive than Firewire, in terms of cost per unit of storage. Plus
the maximum key drive capacity is what -- 256Mb? 512Mb maybe? That won't back
up much software nowadays, and anyway the intent of key drives is not backup
but portability. Whereas 200Gb Firewire is becoming common. There's no
comparison. But if I could figure out a way to get a machine to boot a USB
device, I'd put OS/2 on a key drive, carry it around in my coin purse, and boot
my own system on foreign machines. That would open a few eyes.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx