Re: W98 Question

"fenda@xxxxxx" wrote:

> J. R. Fox wrote:
> >
> > I tried to install this on some relatively current hardware, and
> > problems cropped up even *before* getting to the Product Key portion
> > of the install. A good 20 - 40 items had to be skipped, because
> > install could not find them on the install CD. Some of them included
> > Netbios, USB, and apparently even CD drive support.
>
> Jordan,
> When the install program says it is unable to find these drivers, it
> shows a wrong location (at least in my experience with W98SE), maybe
> inherited from former installs. Please change it to the proper directory
> in the CD and you will be able to install (click Details and you'll see
> the .CAB file required, then go to the directory where the CAB file are
> in the CD). Test and report.
> Manuel Castelao

Thanks, Manuel. In case someone from Redmund stumbles across my original
post:

1) The license for this W98 _could have_ been transferred, I believe. 2)
It was an experiment, which failed.  3) W98 was unusable on this machine,
and so was never used.  4) Therefore, that partition has now been
scrubbed. & 5) Announced End of Product Life for W98 is very iminent.

I may roll the dice on a ten buck investment, and buy one of those
gen-u-wine OEM CDs of SE, to try this again, making use of your
suggestions. I realize that those (fully licensed) CDs were supposed to be
bundled with new systems only, but they have been disembodied and widely
sold on the grey market for years.

Jordan