Dumping HLP, etc.

Nathan Sivin:

  >...the idea of dumping the HLP and other bloat files is too
  >audacious and interesting not to try. Does one just take
  >them off the disk, or what does one do to keep XY from
  >demanding them? Just substitute 1-byte files of the same
  >name?

Oh no! Don't delete 'em (they *are* a resource; I treat them as
text files which I read from time to time, much as I would legal
notices in the Times, out of morbid curiosity)! Just delete (or,
better, "comment out" with an initial ";*;") the relevant lines
in STARTUP.INT (or
XWSTART.INT in XyWin). That'll do it.

Carl Distefano
70154.3452@xxxxxxxx