Re: Index-creation software

Jayharlow@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> My company has indexed all its books with XyW in DOS. It's an easy procedure,
> creating a dummy file with pages corresponing to the book pages and creating
> index entries with the [x1] command. If anyone wants more details I'd be
> happy to provide them.
>
> Jay Harlow

 I've also made indexes of scholarly books using XyIII and XyIV, and have found it perfectly easy.
What would an indexing program do extra? The real pain,
after all, is deciding what you're going to index, and what categories you're
going to choose for your index headings, and no program (I think) can do that for you.

Assuming that you're not going to cheat and simply have a name index. But
there's a special circle of hell (in an unpublished annex to the _Inferno_)
reserved for writers and publishers who resort to that cop-out.

Nick Clifford