Re: Two real, honest-to-goodness Xy questions

Quite correct, as usual! My old Tame seemed to deal with whatever XP's problems with XyWrite were ... I still do have an outstanding problem on my Dell Inspiron 8500 where after a while, everything slows down, CPU is 100%, and the fan is usually at full speed; reboot is the only cure; never going into suspend is not a cure though it helps (but not the environment). I have learnt that there is a special version of
rastapi.dll described in this hotfix page:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903737; _onclick_="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903737

However, I have yet to be able to get the file, after years of looking for it. You have to have some kind of support agreement I evidently don't have. A kind friend from MS sent me the file, but it arrived in some kind of zip format which, though it seems to have more or less the correct amount of bytes, gives a message saying the file didn't get through the MS firewall. Most annoying. If anyone has this file, I would love to try it. I couldn't bring myself to ask my MS friend to send it again. Hmm, maybe I'll try another. It really is disgraceful that it is so difficult to get a file so evidently necessary.

I continue to be astonished at how slow MSWord is on all machines, no matter how new and how well-configured, and continue to be delighted by memories of the swiftness, grace and good manners of XyWrite with which I am not yet reunited:

Venez avec moi, Xywrite, a quelque place où nous ne serons jamais séparés!

> I use TAME and have some old version of XyWWW attached;
> don't have 4DOS whatever that is.
> Never have any problems.

I wager Bill's also got "some old version" of Tame.  Tame v5
commandeers the console.  Entirely new ball game -- some like
it, some don't.  If David Thomas wrote better docs, I'm sure he
could explain how to disable some of the new Tame v5 "features".
As it is, I reverted to v4.

Robert Holmgren
mailto:holmgren@xxxxxxxx