Re: Attachments (fwd)

From: http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19981102-1.html

---------
Question:

What are MS-TNEF mail attachments?

Answer:

Those attachments contain Microsoft Exchange's rich text information,
encoding attributes of the message such as boldface, underlining, fonts,
and colors. Exchange/Internet Mail puts these attributes into an
attachment so that they can appear to other Exchange users on the
Internet. The problem arises when people not using Exchange receive
these attachments: instead of seeing a formatted message, they see a big
chunk of UUENCODE data named WINMAIL.DAT, or a section
application/ms-tnef if you're using MIME (which is what Communicator
uses). These attachments contain only formatting and are not important
to the message itself.

For communicating with users of other clients, Exchange contains an
option to suppress sending rich text information when mailing them. You
may want to contact the person who sends these attachments, and ask them
to turn these off for messages sent to you. To do this, they need to
double-click on your address and uncheck the box labelled "Send to this
recipient in Microsoft rich text format."

Regards,
L Anderson