Netscape, XyWrite, and the Media

Friends,

Regarding this discussion of Netscape v. Microsoft Internet Explorer:

First, let me state that Netscape is Columbia's browser of choice. The machines
in the office come equipped only with Netscape. (Recently I purchased a new
Gateway machine for my home and Internet Explorer was, of course, pre-installed.
I installed Netscape on the system, as I am quite familiar with it by now, and
continue to use it exclusively. It is, of course, useful to have Explorer just
in case someday I encounter a Web page that insists upon Explorer.) It does seem
rather counterproductive to remove Explorer from your system as some sort of
Anti-Gates posturing. You may need it, like it or not, apparently.

That said, I am pondering this: Since many, if not most, of the subscribers here
work as writers, editors, or journalists, I would be interested to know if, as I
suspect, there is a pro-Netscape, anti-Explorer bias among members of the media.
And, as a corollary, does this stem from having been raised on XyWrite in the
first place.

The reason why I speculate about this is simple: nearly always, when a web page
is photographed for inclusion in a publication, the netscape "N" is clearly
shown in the reproduction. This seems true of CNN and ABC News as well
(although, needless to say, it is hardly true of MSNBC).

Interesting, too, the screen shot is nearly always a Windows shot, although the
N.Y. Times screen shots are obviously from the Cute Fruit world.

I seem to recall that there is a gentleman from the Times who posts here
sometimes. Perhaps he will comment.

Thanks in advance.

lb136@xxxxxxxx
212-666-1000 x7109 (phone) 212-316-3100 (fax)