Re: NB Win

"Prof. Peter Knupfer" wrote:

> I recently bought NBWin for the first time so that I could convert and
> use my mass of old XyIII, Xy4DOS, and XW files. I had re-fired my
> versions of XyWrite in XP, but the labor and learning curve involved in
> mastering XPL and making the program talk properly to various printers
> wasn't cost- or time- efficient for me.

You just reminded me of something. What's going on vis-a-vis NB and the
printer drivers it uses for the range of latter day printers being sold ?
Assuming they are keeping up and issuing a stream of new or revised
drivers, is there anything to be gleaned from them that might be useful to
us ? Are they still in a plain text format ? Oftentimes it might be no
more than a listing of printer control codes, for which one might otherwise
have to purchase a Tech. Ref. Manual for that printer. Even that much
could be useful . . . but not if they have gone to a binary driver format.

Quite frankly, I've lost track of what XyWin used, except that I think it
was a different series of drivers altogether. The last time I tried to
fire up my installed XyWin, I could not load any printer driver (it said
"done", but nothing really happened), nor could I send a print job that
would actually print. It was a waste of time. Then again, I hardly ever
used XyWin, and my knowledge of it is close to zilch.

Jordan