Re: TAME and TIME

** Reply to message from --  on Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:19:06 +0100

Manuel:

You earlier wrote to me that

> The time is different to the system time (progressively delayed). Maybe
> it's a problem only in my system?

This is very peculiar! Suppose, for convenience, you use a system "PROMPT"
(the W2K environment variable, not a XyWrite PRompt) like this:

$d$h$h$h$h$h $t$h$h$h$_$p$g

That displays the current *system* date and time when you shell to DOS, or use
any DOS command line. Suppose you shell to DOS from XyWrite (DOS/NV). You
should see the system time at the command line. Now, you're saying that the
system time at the DOS level is different than the time displayed in XyWrite?
That initially, when you first boot the machine (or first load XyWrite?), the
times are identical, but that XyWrite gradually displays more and more error in
the time it reports? How much error, after how much elapsed time? Seconds?
Minutes? Hours? When you command, at DOS:
 echo %TZ%
what does it say? If you shell to DOS from XyWrite, then return, does that
normalize (restore accuracy to) the Xy time? If you change the time manually
at DOS, does XyWrite reflect the change?

I've never noticed anything like this -- but I haven't exactly been looking for
it either. Even if the clock chip on your motherboard is imprecise, the same
incorrect time should be reported by all facilities! Perhaps your machine is
just getting tired, aye? I'm thinking maybe something related to the CPU (is
it Intel?), or conceivably a new BIOS that has forgotten an ancient DOS call?
Is anything else misbehaving? If Tame were to blame, you'd see the same error
in any DOS session -- not just XyWrite.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx