Re: III+ and 95

<<	Can XyIII+ be used successfully with Windows 95? Our problem
(and, as I understand it, everyone's problem) is with the necessity to
hit another key to allow a function key to do its thing (hit F5 and
nothing happens until you strike some other key). This creates havoc with
xpl as well. [...] We cannot run III+ in Win3.1 enhanced mode on any
machine using Netware VLMs. --Rob Perschau / Kansas City Star

Hi, Rob. My own system is too feeble for win95 and, having tried xyDos 4,
come the millennium I expect to be using xyWrite 3 unless TTG's new
dbXyWin repairs xyWin 4 problems, so consider the source ... but:

I multitask xyW 3 under win3.1 uneventfully; your win3.1 .kb3 probs
surely are Netware-induced. I found xyW 3 use under win3.0 out
of the question, however, because of .kb3 flakiness, and discussions
when win95 was new left me with the impression that it does indeed--
at least to some extent--bring back those bad old days.

I forget the resolution, if any, or whether this was tested, but it's
worth a shot: Are you aware that you can fool bios by giving *.kbd
shift tables aliases? I use a compact Datalux kbd whose map makes
logical the assignment of one Insert key as Alt, one Del key as Ctrl,
and CapsLock as DF/RD (a dual-purpose macro; my CapsLock is in the
middle of the Fkeys). These table definitions do the trick:

SHIFT=42,54
CCTRL=29,99,95
AALT=56,98,91
UP=65,T:C

Works fine, and I'm indebted to Carter Campbell for the suggestion. If
you haven't, try the incantation and see what happens. Alias itself is
irrelevant; for all xyWrite cares, you could call the tables BILL, AL,
NEWT, and TRENT. 	--a