ROCK SOLID V.

XY-> Chet-- I don't know what errors you may have made in your setup, but I (and
 -> many others I know) use UWF=3 exclusively with a windows printer driver and
 -> have absolutely no problems with graphics disaply or printing.

The basic problem with XyWin in general has been the lack of a
comprehensive testing program, one of the reasons that 4.11 could
ship with a dysfunctional search and replace.

However, I'm always ready to assume that I've dome something
wrong, and went back to fool around with the XyWin setup.

Now, I'm a postscript advocate; truefonts did have a market
advantage inasmuch as it forced Adobe to open up its type 1
specs, but after that was accomplished, truefonts could have been
assigned their place in oblivion.

Anyway, I thought, maybe he's using truefonts. So I started
truefonts, but still got a sequence of error messages for
starting a PS printer. Then I choose a non-PS printer, and sure
enough, "graphic mode" came back. I then tried the PS printer,
and got graphics mode.

With true type off and with the Speedo font lines in the DFL
commented out, I could get graphics mode. Perhaps the DFL had
some influence; perhaps something else. XyWin does have it odd
moments. For example, take the percentage box on the menu bar.
Type a number in it. Press ENTER. Nothing happens, except maybe
an error beep. What's more fun, type your name in the percentage
box (some programs don't allow nonnumerals in such things), and
that is accepted. A broken whistle?

Anyway, I did get graphics mode to work for postscript with uwf
set to 3 and speedo commented out . . .

BUT

only the base ASCII set displays in graphics mode. In all the
variations I've tried. Apostrophes, em dashes, ENTERs, etc., are
all bullets of various sizes. Sort of like XyWin with pimples.

In contrast, I have not had problems printing or displaying
postscript from the following apps: AI 4, Corel 4 & 5, Photoshop
2.5 and 3, Ventura 4, Quark 3.3, WordPerfect for Win, M Word for
Win, and many utilities.

XY-> If you have problems, contact Tech Support, because it works fine. BTW, I
 -> didn't say XyWin was rock solid, I said it is our intent to make it rock
 -> solid.

What!? Contact the same Tech Support that wasn't even aware of
where files were located on the TTG BBS or that wrote such a
loving legal brief of how honest and intent TTG was that it was
unable to find anything wrong with the character replacement menu
until I had to supply every single detail?

I'll stick with Xy for a lot of reasons, but not for the quality
of the tech support.

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx  or  chet@xxxxxxxx