Re: Customization Guide Typo?

** Reply to message from "Brian Henderson"  on Sat, 19
Nov 2005 09:53:16 -0800

> My first impulse to digitize the manuals was to make them available to those
> who don't have copies. Many of us did not come to XyWrite through "official"
> channels. And now that it's long "orphaned", there is no way to acquire
> manuals legitimately (eBay aside)... An almost equal reason for doing it
> is that I enjoy it

And for portability. For ability to search the text (a HUGE leg-up). For
wider distribution. So you don't have to get out of your chair and/or flip
pages.

Believe it or not, there *are* new XyWrite users!

Altogether, extremely valuable, duh. Now... what about the *real* Manual? If
I had to prioritize tasks, and pick the books, I would be sorely tempted to do
something radical here: scan the XyWin manual instead of the Xy4 manual. The
reason is that they're almost identical (if you really sit down and compare),
but the XyWin manual simply has more/better/corrected information. You need,
of course, to be sensitive to features that appear in XyWin alone, but they are
few and far between.

Then I would do "Making the Transition", which is invaluable (despite its
disorganization). With those three books, you'd cover Xy4/XyWin.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx