saving to alternative disk directory

I've spent a lot of the last two weeks moving my primary desktop over
to Ubuntu	9.04 ("Jaunty Jackalope," love typing that) from OS/2, and I
must say, I almost couldn't be happier -- it's very stable, and I miss
hardly anything from OS/2, let alone the other thing.
one question which maybe another linuxite or perhaps even a Xywriteer
could answer: on my netbook, I've configured the little SD card slot as
a backup drive, and so

BX (c:,w:\xybax);*;
in startup.int works nicely to back things up to what is in essence a super floppy drive. I tried configuring the desktop the same way, but it doesn't work on SAves. although I'm perfectly able to perform

sa w:\xybax

nothing I see in startup.int seems to give a clue....

-rafe t.