Re: Access Denied

"Patricia M. Godfrey" wrote:

> The "access denied" message might also be coming up if the file has the
> Read-only attribute set. For some reason, when you restore backups from
> ZIP drives and CD-Rs, they often get set that way.

Most file managers -- incl. the really crummy ones that have been built into
various versions of WIN -- do this. I've never seen a copy from ZIP drive to h/d
do this, unless the file was already set to R.O. status on the ZIPdisk, but then I
never messed with the proprietary Iomega Backup s/w, if that is what you were
referring to. Of course, *everything* on a CD is R.O. by nature, so this is to be
expected.

One useful curiosity I've noted is that when using the OS/2 version of XCOPY to
transfer files, it has a default of stripping the R.O. attribute en route to the
target. This suggests that other versions of XCOPY might do the same. I don't
know if later iterations of WIN even still give you this utility, but you might
care to check it out with a DOS version of it, if you still have that. This is
strictly command line stuff, but most of us have some grounding in that, and there
are a number of option switches that add versatility. Once you figure out the
operations you regularly do, it is no big deal to preserve it as a batch file (does
WIN still allow those ?), perhaps with a strategic Pause and Comments, so that
there is no need to remember what the syntax was.

I truly pity anyone who did not learn some PC fundamentals from the ground up,
before everything supposedly was made "easy." Anyone just coming to it today,
totally dependent on MicroSoft GUIs, is bound to find him or herself at a loss for
understanding or resolving basic issues that invariably come up.

Jordan