Re: Menu/Help file not loaded misery . . .

Dear Messers Distefano and Holmgren,

You both responded with nearly identical suggestions. The va/nv $U2
query, which I had tried myself, returns the full path of the U2 file.
Carl, the keyboard assignment for helpkey is correct; it's the same
one I've been using all along with previous versions of xywwweb. This
is also true of the load statement in startup.int; attached please
find a copy of the file for your inspection.

As all seems to be loading via the startup file (confirmed by a series
of va/nv queries) I suspect that there may be a problem at OS level in
terms of what gets to reside in memory--I've had hints about this
before on this Win98 box.

Many thanks for your attention to my puzzle.

Fred Weiner

On 4/4/06, Carl Distefano  wrote:

> Reply to note from "Fred Weiner"  Tue, 4 Apr 2006
> 16:42:33 -0700
>
> Fred:
>
> > This is my first post to the list; before I knew about it I
> > wrote this puzzling situation to Messers Holmgren and
> > Distefano, invading their privacy, no doubt. I trust I will be
> > forgiven.
>
> Never! This is an unforgiving place. You've had the temerity to
> enter; now, abandon all hope...
>
> Kidding, of course. Glad you found us! Been meaning to answer your
> e-mail. (The answer would have been to subscribe here.)
>
> The error message "Menu/Help file not loaded" means what it says. If
> you're seeing it when you press your , it means that U2 is
> not loaded. You can verify this by issuing the following command:
>
> VA/NV $U2
>
> If it returns "(none)", your U2 file is not loaded, which in all
> likelihood means that it isn't being loaded at startup. Check
> STARTUP.INT. It should have a line that that looks something like the
> following (BX and Q2 represent functions [created with commands
> PFUN BX and PFUN Q2, respectively]; adjust drive and path specs as
> necessary):
>
> BX load d:\xy4\xywwweb.u2Q2 ;*;
>
> On the other hand, if VA/NV $U2 returns the correct path to your U2
> file, then something else is going on. Open your keyboard file and
> check your  assignment. It should look like this:
>
> nn=NOXHJM2,.,P,r,s,C,M,l,i,n,e,Q2
>
> If it doesn't, tell us exactly what it does look like. Paste your
>  assignment into your e-mail message (copy and paste it;
> don't type it manually). While you're at it, quote us your LOAD
> statement from STARTUP.INT, as well.
>
> Those are the two likely culprits, based on the information you've
> provided. I know you've checked these things umpteen times before;
> but, humor me, and check them again. Let us know.
>
> --
> Carl Distefano
> cld@xxxxxxxx

ÿ?«DEFAULT DR=C:\WINDOWS\TEMPÿ?;*;