Re: Xy'd NB

At 04:46 PM 2/17/2008, Harry Binswanger wrote:
It is well known that when NB is not exited gracefully (and maybe even sometimes when it is), it leaves a NTVDM behind, which has to be closed "manually" (e.g., by Task Manager). Since you've been exploring NB, maybe what you are seeing is its "remains."
I think so, Harry. And in my exploring I keep turning up...well...if
not bugs then bacteria. For example, to make the NB screen resemble
XY, you can View-->toggle to "Full Window." Make the mistake of
quitting without toggling back to standard view and I get

Emacs!
the next time I try to call the program up, and the only remedy is to reinstall. Reading the NB archive, I find lots of traffic on general protection faults, all with slightly different addresses, and none with remedies. (Reference RH's comments today; I also sent a note to the tech support, which, I must say, is excellent.) At all events, I'm trying to get NB XYified in advance of porting it -- using Robert's protocols -- to a disk or flash drive.
Another thing I noticed, NB does not like ctrlx keyboard tables or
calls (I wish someone would remind me what the heck we put the X
after ctrl in the kbd file in the first place.) Certainly there might
be something in my overall setup. Robert reports no problems
importing his XY kbd into NB and I can't imagine mine is more
jury-rigged than his.
It's easy to curse NB as cranky; maybe it is. But it's a good
alternative, and V8 at last lets you customize screen colors, has a
decent draft mode and so on.

Michael Norman

JPEG image