Re: Xy on Mac revisited-Parallel Universe

Lisa,
Fear not--there is *no* install to do of Xy. It is the most forgiving software. It will (probably) run just with EDITOR.EXE executed from wherever it might be (you don't need no steenking subdirectory).
So it's only an issue of copying a number of files onto the virtual C:
drive. I would just copy all the files in whatever directory on whatever
machine you have previously been running Xy.
Eventually, you'll want to look at your (newly copied) STARTUP.INT and
SETTINGS.DFL files to see if all their references to filenames make sense
on the new system, with its directory structure (or, as I recommend, the
lack thereof). Just SEarch these files for C: and see what they are set for
(this assumes that Xy was on the C: drive of your old system).
You may want to do a bit of tweaking after then, but none of this is a
make-break deal. As I say, just get EDITOR.EXE onto the DOS C: drive and
you're good to go, where "go" means: Xy is up and running, though not
customized.
Harry
I've added a Xy4 directory, but am not sure what to do next.

What do I need to copy into the root directory? What do I need in a DOS
directory? What's the minimum I need in XY4 directory to test if/how Xy
works in this environment.

As of now, nothing happens when I press the track pad in lieu of mouse.
I have an extra mouse & driver, but don't really use them in Xy. Should
I try?

Anyway, any help from you who have more experience would be most
appreciated. I have never installed DOS on a machine before, so have no
idea what's necessary or desirable.

I will say, that the screen looks quite nice, just like my old
computer, but with very clear white on black print.

Many thanks in advance,
Lisa

--- Lisa Kleinholz  wrote:
> --- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:
> Is Parallels just Mac or can it virtualize another opsys
> > on Linux?
>
> Just Mac. Thanks for the info on 6.22. I've had no problems running
> Xy4
> on 6.22, but will tell tech guy about MemMaker.

Lisa Kleinholz
www.kleinholz.com

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx