re: XY and on-line sessions (4GB)

Andy--
  Well, to see if the 4GB drive is quiet, I stuck it in a removable frame
and fired it up.
  Quiet? If this means as much to you as it does to me, I would *not*
recommend a Micropolis MC 3243. This runs at 7200 rpm, and I'm beginning
to think excessive noise, at least to my ears, is endemic to 7200 rpms.
Before the 5400rpm 2-gig drive that I'm now using, I bought and returned
two 2-gig 7200rpm models-- a Seagate Barracuda and either a Connor or a
Quantum (forget which)-- due to excess noise.
  The Micropolis is not as loud as those two were, but when I switch on
the power to the removable slot, there's a *decided* additional whine--
much louder than the 2.6GB *and* the 1GB 5400rpm drives running in my main
box, plus another 1GB 5400rpm drive in the backup machine that I used for
the noise test. Right: the Micropolis is noiser than *all three* of other
drives.
  I will probably return it, too. Or use it as back up.
  -otis
Business Week
212 512-3064