Re: FW: Re: FW: Windows 95 To: xywrite, nsivin

On Mon, 18 Sep 1995 08:12:19 -0400 (EDT) Nathan Sivin wrote:
>Mike Gawdun:
>
>I have not encountered either of the problems you report, but that may
>be due to differences in the way we use the program. As for the
>prompt, have you checked the EP default in XWSET.DFL?

No, but will do so after this reply. What should I be looking for
 as the EP default?

>Are you leaving the XY desktop and going to the Windows desktop and
>its Program Manager to open files?

No, I am in XWin the entire time and have experienced a very
cumbersome File Manager that is not very intuitive to use.

>As for the personal speller, I
>always just open it like any text file and add new words as a >batch.

Maybe I am wanting to be pampered by XW and shouldn't be asking
for such features that are available in other Windows word
processors but when I am in spell check mode and I am being
prompted to add a word to my personal dictionary, it would be
easier if I only had to click on the Add button only and not
have to click on two additional buttons after I choose to add a
word. The additional prompts are completely unnecessary.  >
>You might want to post your list of bugs and see whether they
>occur for everyone or are due to an individual setup. It
probably >contains some of both kinds.

I will do this tomorrow morning because I have to teach class at
UTSA tonight. I have all of my bugs listed in a file at home and
I keep adding to it when I discover new ones.

Also, these bugs occur on both my work PC which is an IBM PS/2
486 DX2 66MHz with 32 MB of RAM and 1 GB of storage. The PC at
home is a Gateway 486 DX2 66 MHz with 16 MB of RAM and about 540
MB of storage. I wish the bugs would appear on only one machine
so that I could blame a configuration, but both PCs are showing
the same behavior.

The only difference between these PCs is that for most of this
year, the office PC had OS/2 version 2.11, but when I loaded
Win95 on my home PC, it was so much easier to use and configure
that I stripped OS/2 off the work PC, put in a new hard drive,
and loaded Win95 on it. These bugs or "rough edges" have been
consistent on Win 3.1, OS/2, and Win95.

Date: 09/18/95
Time: 10:37:27
San Antonio, TX