Re: easy way to print from xywrite

--- On Wed, 1/28/09, Patricia M. Godfrey  wrote:

> 1. You can print directly to a USB printer (no adapter
> needed) IF it is HP PCL or PostScript (or a really ancient
> Epson ESC/P, but I doubt there are any of them still
> working), using the net use command to map the USB port to a
> virtual parallel port.

Maybe I was less than clear in what I wrote. What I asked is actually a bit more complicated. I do
indeed have two *working* ESC/P Epson printers -- different models -- neither of which is USB. My
current computer has a bad Par. Port; the one that _may_ replace it has no Par. Port at all. But I
*do* have a Parallel - to - USB adapter. Its USB connector would be for the *computer* end of it.
Does _that_ add up to any workable combination ?

> 2. If the printer isn't HP PCL or Postscript, you can
> still print to it over USB, using Postghst.prn, TYP,
> Ghostscript, and GSView; you can also generate PDFs using
> the same programs and Xy2PDF in U2. My laptop has no
> parallel port, my desktop's printer is USB, both are
> Epsons (NOT ESC/P), and I print from both all the time.

I'm willing to give this a try, although I've had problems with GhostScript printing under OS/2.
Sometimes, some versions of GS worked, but often not. (This was before the MB replacement, when my
Par. Port still worked. The problem with the port has not proved amenable to any of the
troubleshooting I threw at it.) I've never tried to use GS under Windows.

 Jordan