Tim Baehr:

You are right about using JM(Bold) etc. for display modes. It does
the job, but it is just a bit more limited than my simple XPL
approach. First, if the text is in expanded view, your key assignment
will provide a second  delta instead of . That's not a
liability except for people who often input text in expanded view.
Second, when you use the assigned key on selected text, the cursor
moves erratically outside the area just after the change. Third,
rather than turning the mode on and leaving it on until I am finished
typing something in italic, I prefer to deposit the italic on and
italic off deltas with the cursor in between. Using JM(Italic), if I
modify the key assignment to do that, then the cursor isn't where I
want it after italicizing a selected phrase. But people with other
working habits will find your simple solution preferable.

Actually, I didn't want to make it seem complicated, but what I
actually did was not write separate programs and assign them to keys,
but rather modified the M2 etc. commands in ENHANCE.SET. That way I
use the ctrl-number keys without changing the keyboard.

--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science