Re: Tame: I spoke too soon

Carl Distefano wrote:
You have no choice but to shell if you want to run an external
command from XyWrite.
If you do it by typing commands. Which is, I freely admit, the
most efficient way to do things, all other things being equal.
But sometimes they're not. Egual, that is. One may be a
pathologically bad typist. Now I just created a simple batch
file, that displays a directory listing of a folder, and waits
for you to press a key (dir e:*.* /p). I left Xy running in a
window on the second monitor (so I'd have room to see everything
that was happening) and double clicked on the shortcut I had
created to that batch file. All the while with Process Explorer
open in front of me. Two cmd.exe sessions and two ntvdms were
there while the batch file was running; the second closed as soon
as I hit a key and the batch file completed. Unless I'm totally
misinterpreting what Process Explorer is telling me (possible,
heaven knows), that's a second NTVDM, without even shelling.
Of course, if you want to do it with program code, that's another
matter. But I've found that having Xy write a batch file, for
which you have a shortcut, and then manually clicking the
shortcut works just as well as calling a pm to do it. Esp. if I
have to type the pm's name and get it wrong.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx