Re: 64 or 32 bit Win 7

>But to do these things, we need access to apps running on the
host (I suppose you could install them on the guest too, but
that's duplicative. I don't intend to put anything in the guest
except XyWrite and a few old DOS tools).

It is all about the applications and how you use them: Robert needs only XyWrite and some utilities,
whereas I like to use Windows 3.1 extensively: DOS boxes for task switching NB 3.0 (essentially XyW
III+ with better customizable menus) and DOS editors, like Brief, and other DOS programs, and
Windows 3.1 environment for running Win 3.1 publishing software, like Quark and Ventura, which are
light-weight and produce good-quality Postscript output PS files that convert perfectly into PDFs. I
do almost no printing from XyWrite, I use custom-made conversion programs to change XY modes into
publishing formatting codes. As a professional publisher, Adobe Acrobat is a must. And it is not
really that expensive, as for most purposes you do not have to have the latest version. Robert, on
the other hand, likes VMware, which is not free software. Virtual PC is free, and for just running
legacy applications on the Windows platform it is straightforward and light-weight. I agree that for
serious testing VMware is better.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)