Re: Ignorant XY4 question

Yo Intl. wrote:

> When I try to use the "wx" replace function, I get the error message
> "Wildcards must be in the same order on both sides of a change". Why?

Rene,

The Wise Persons will have to chime in here to tell you why. I have
discovered that the following is perfectly legal and will cause no
problems:

CI /19{WN}{WN}/20{WN}{WN}/

This, and quite logically, will generate the error message for sure:

CI /19{WN}{WN}/{WN}{WN}20/

This ought not to cause problems, but will, after making one
replacement, stopping at that point, and whimpering:

CI /19{WN}{WN}/20{WN}{WN}/

Anyone, anyone? Sir Robert??

> -- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo
> -- "The Germans [of the Nazi era] were excellent. For us they were
> -- good. They drew the borders of Albania as they should be. I missed
> -- them." Sejdi Gashi, 84, Albanian refugee, Kosovo, awaiting Kfor

hmm and hmm . . .

--

Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press